Monday 6 March 2017

Individualisation - Research into artists and materials.

In this project we were given a client and had to design a product for them of their choice. This project was given to grasp the idea of what it’s like working for a client in the real world. My client was given a questionnaire and from that questionnaire I had to pick out 5 answers and conduct research in these areas. My client was a relaxed person who liked reading and drawing. They asked me to design a chair that could be folded and put away easily. I started off my research by looking as existing flat pack furniture.
My research led me to discover designer Nifemi Marcus-Bello who created a table that can store its own legs for easy transport. Named after the Hausa word for table, the Tebur has legs that screw into the desk for ease of disassembly, and fabric loops to hold the legs flat against the surface during transport. A handle carved into the tabletop allows it to be easily carried to different places. The furniture is aimed at offices, particularly workers who spend extended amounts of time in small spaces. The handle doubles as space for cable storage. The designer created the Tebur table to be lightweight so it can be lifted with one hand. The legs, which are made from reclaimed wood, screw into the tabletop, allowing for quick and intuitive disassembly. I was really intrigued by this design and concept. The table can be carried like a brief/suit case and the use of a lightweight material really makes it appropriate for a flat pack furniture. This made me think more about what materials I could use for my chair.

I went on to research into materials that would be fitting for my chair. I looked at the common materials used for chairs. Contemporary kitchen chairs range from faux leather to ABS Plastic and even metallic mesh. Meanwhile, more traditional items are available in a number of woods, cane and a host of other natural materials. There are also retro style chairs, and these tend to be made with faux leather, nylon and various other fabrics. I decided I wanted to use a wooden material for my chair as I wanted it to have a homely feeling. Wood plays a large role in the more traditional designs, giving that rustic feel. Wood gives a certain depth and richness to any environment, with the grain giving added little details that catch your eye and draw you in. Soft woods came across to be the most suitable material to use, they include pine, fir, redwood and cedar. Pine is resistant to shrinkage and has a degree of flexibility, making it appropriate for lightweight furniture.
              

No comments:

Post a Comment