Wednesday 3 May 2017

Week 6 - Material research - Wire and Aluminium

Continuing on with my material research I wasn't too sure what I what type of material I wanted to focus one. I have already worked with cardboard, Sugru and black wire, however these materials arn't very aesthetically pleasing. Sugru looks rather cheap - almost like a kids toy or rubber and doesn't appeal towards my target audience. I want to use a material that looks elegant and subtle.

I purchased some silver plated non tarnish wire and I was really pleased with the way it looks. I tested the material out by crafting it into some of my design using a pair of pliers. The wire moulded easily and stayed in that shape very well, its very shiny which makes it look expensive.

After testing out the wire, I decided I wanted my product to be made from metal as its strong, easy to work with and also visually appealing. I purchased a 0.05mm sheet of aluminium to test out but as soon as I because to bend it I realised it was too thin, almost like tin foil! I knew that if I used this material, my product wouldn't be very stable and secure, it would be flimsy. The only thing I liked about this material was the way it looked so I decided to purchase it again but in the thickness of 0.015mm. This thickness was perfect! the aluminium was easy to cut and work with and moulded well yet stayed put into the shape I crafted and was secure. I decided to use this material for my final prototypes.


No comments:

Post a Comment